- This historic tour occurs only once every 12 years….Tickets for the games are in BIG demand, and is lottery based.
- Cape Town Hotels block booked for the 2nd game…on the 31st July 2021.
Gordons Bay accommodation can offer a great alternative…
- Come to the Lions/Boks Pub crawl night on Friday 30th July.
- Live music & Past Bok-Lions game on screens, food and booze and great atmosphere….
- Transport to move visitors to & from the Airport, the Match, as well as taking the visitors to and from activities and events such as wine farms / R44 Market etc..
A bit of history.
In 1997, the first Lions of the professional age saw the tourists travel to Rugby World Cup winners South Africa for the first time since 1980.
The build-up to the first Test is famous for Jim Telfer’s Everest speech to the forwards and in the front of over 50,000 spectators in Cape Town it was Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dallaglio and Keith Wood who had the tourists’ pack on the front foot to see the Lions seal a memorable 25-16 win.
The second Test was played at King’s Park in Durban and, in a similar way to the first, the South Africans came out all guns blazing. Following the line-out, Gregor Townsend was brought down short of the line but the ball was recycled and passed to inside centre Jeremy Guscott who coolly dropped the goal that put the Lions 18-15 ahead and secured an unassailable 2-0 series lead.
Third Test, with the series secured and the tourists’ injuries continuing to pile up, five changes were made for the final Test which South Africa won 35-16 with three tries to the Lions’ one.
But the defeat, just their second in 13 Tour fixtures, didn’t prevent celebrations from the men in red who had a historic 2-1 series victory to their name.